This is a must have summer recipe! It will be the spotlight of any party.
Makes 24 Cupcakes
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/4 cup milk
Fluffy Tropical Frosting
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
1 cup shredded coconut
- Heat over to 350F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coconut and rum extract. Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a small bowl. Stir in milk with juice. On a low speed, alternatively add flour mixture, about 1/3 cup of mixture at a time, and milk mixture, about 1/2 at a time, beating just until blended. Stir in pineapple.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; place on cooling rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed just until stiff peaks form.
- In 1-quart saucepan, stir 1/2 cup sugar, the corn syrup and water until well mixed. Cover; heat to a rolling boil over medium heat. Uncover; boil 4 to 8 minutes, without stirring, to 242F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of cold water forms a firm ball that holds its shape until pressed. For an accurate temperature reading, tilt the saucepan slightly so mixture is deep enough for thermometer.
- Pour hot syrup very slowly in thin stream into beaten egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. Add 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract and 1/2 teaspoon rum extract. Beat on high for about 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Frost cupcakes. Dip tops of frosted cupcakes in coconut.
Recipe is from “The Big Book of Cupcakes“.